Sunday, August 30, 2009

God Knows What Is Yet To Come...

We had a really good church service today; one I needed. Our pastor spoke about discouragement (Psalm 42) and it was about those times when you need to provide your own strength (like oh, say …maybe working your way through the day-to-day Haiti adoption process?!) He said that sometimes you have to encourage yourself through life, and rather than being miserable or waiting for someone else to encourage you - you have to rely on your faith/beliefs and work your way through. God knows what is yet to come, we need to remember that.

  1. Say to yourself: It okay to ask yourself how come you feel the way you do – working through those questions is a good thing. It is okay go through “seasons of dryness” where there are no answers. These are the times to put your hope in God and talk yourself through. We tend to want a reason for everything; to blame, to hold someone accountable… when sometimes there really are no reasons.
  2. Sing to yourself: Singing shifts focus off of oneself. Psalms is the raw expression being poured out to God. Be alone, sing – it takes faith for most of us.
  3. Preach to yourself: Get in the Bible. See what God has to say to you. Scripture sustains hope, gives perspective.

I needed to hear this, as I have been feeling to be in my own dry spell lately... Frustrated, sad and not always feeling like God is hearing me. But I realized today that He is. And the fact that I am talking with Him is good. He does hear... and I believe that.

We also had the awesome pleasure of having Warren Barfield sing to us (one of his tracks is in the Fireproof movie.) It was a really good message for us. Sometimes life isn’t so easy for couples working through infertility/the Haiti adoption process, etc… I am so thankful for Joe.

He said he originally wrote this to his wife (not for the movie)...

Love Is Not A Fight

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing it.
    I often feel bad for asking questions, my thoughts, my feelings...But I keep trying to talk and figure my way through it to positivity and faith.
    It's interesting you say "sing"...cuz i wrote about singing a while ago. How I couldn't for so long...but feel like I can now. I'm trying to. Circle round...and other songs of faith, hope, security, the future.

    The song is also beautiful. Love will get us through...I know it.
    Cathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. was just thinking---sometimes it is so interesting how we post exactly what the other needs to hear. i have read this like 5 times. i'll be back to it also.
    thanks jill!
    cathleen

    ReplyDelete

Let Us Know Your Thoughts:

Adoption Updates & Thoughts from the Wilkins