Thursday, January 14, 2010

I am so tired...

And I can’t imagine how Dixie feels. She has to be completely exhausted.
 
These past 2 days have been surreal… many adoptive parents I have talked to are feeling the same way.
 
We are all doing what we can to “matter,” to make some sense out of this. I am trying to channel my frustrations into something I can impact, in the areas where I have expertise and knowledge. But it never feels like I am able to do enough…
 
I have spent my efforts:
  • On the fundraising efforts for GLA (this is of huge importance to me)…
  • Helping to create key messages for other adoptive parents to use for media, government, etc… and just trying to keep them in the loop on what they can do.
  • Trying to touch the media and working with others to tell their story and help raise funds for GLA.
  • I have done newspaper interviewes, TV interviews and am SO GLAD that so many other adoptive parents have been able to do the same! (Check out the links on the RIGHT NAV of this page.)  We all have local stories to tell and to help connect people with real situations. Just got word that a good friend will be interviewed on the TODAY show, tomorrow morning!
  • We need this attention for our fundraising efforts AND to help get attention to our plea for special Visa’s.
  • And I have been on the phone with senator offices and government officials… We need help from US government official to gain approvals for emergency/humanitarian passports/visas that can be used to unite orphans with their adoptive parents in the US.
  • And I have been communicating with other parents who are in my shoes… trying to make sure we are doing all we can.

Sometimes, when it quiets down… I allow myself to think about what is really happening and I go into a dark place. My son is in Haiti. The judge who signs the paperwork in Haiti has died. We are very concerned for his safety as riots are starting and given the orphanage has food/water, they may be in danger very soon.

I didn’t think I had enough “fight” left in me BEFORE the earthquake hit… how will I ever get through this?
Will I ever have a family? Do these efforts matter? I am so overwhelmed… This could add YEARS to our process…

God is bigger than an earthquake… right?

1 comment:

  1. A close friend of mine went there on a medical mission and witnessed GLA's miracles first hand. While I've known my friend for a long time, I just learned about this mission when we both saw the Today interview. As a Dad of two little kids my heart goes out to those kids and the families wanting to adopt them.

    The kids story inspired me to help raise money and collect in-kind contributions. I am putting together a host committee.

    In addition to the financial and in-kind support they need I've begun to work on persuading the State Department to get involved with the Haitian government and grant the Humanitarian or Refuge visas the children need. I have a lot of good contacts in Washington, DC and some of them are on the for front of the adoption issue. But, my effort would be a lot more effective if I worked together with the adoption families.

    If you are interested in joining forces my name is Greg Lane and you can send me an email at gregmlane@yahoo.com or friend me at Facebook and I will accept it.

    ReplyDelete

Let Us Know Your Thoughts:

Adoption Updates & Thoughts from the Wilkins