Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I-600 Interview - DONE!

We made it for our I-600 interview at the consulate... and all is now said and done (thankfully so, after all the angst of a couple weeks ago!)

And... the BEST PART was that we got to take Samuel Chancelet with us to Port au Prince!!! So we spent all day with him in our arms. Because he was an orphan, they were able to take care of his paperwork at the same time as ours (vs. having to do an interview later on with his birth parents.) So GLA decided to just have us take him to town with us. That was a true blessing as it was really special just to hang out with him.

He isn't fussy whatsoever and was so good the whole day (even when he got a bit sleepy.) He has a bit of a cough though, so he wasn't feeling great, but even with that, he was a perfect little baby. We haven't heard him cry yet. The road to Port au Prince is awful (scary, bumpy, crazy, etc...) so it was a long journey there and back.

The interview itself went fine; the line was short and it probably took us 30 minutes or so. They told us all the paperwork was good and there was enough evidence to declare him an orphan, with no parents. So that should help us with the US side at the very end of the adoption process.

It was odd to just have this baby handed to us and we were expected to "be parents" -- just like that! :-) I know that sounds funny, but I think most of you will understand what I mean.

I wish I could post some more pics, but can only do so with low resolution from the Blackberry, so will post a couple here and there.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic!
    I hope we can do the same!! I am afraid we'll be gone so long our time will be cut short.
    this trip is turning out to just be going your way and I am so happy for you.
    he sounds fantastic
    cathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Praise God for such a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Let Us Know Your Thoughts:

Adoption Updates & Thoughts from the Wilkins